Sunday, January 3, 2010

some resolutions

with the impending arrival of the little one, i have spent a good deal of time pondering what kind of mother/wife/homemaker (i used to hate that word, but now i kind of like the idea of "making" home) i will be.

during my ten-day break from work, i have had some time to try on different roles.

after learning that the little one is getting big ahead of schedule (something the doctors had kept telling me would happen but i kept pretending might not happen), i frantically set into "nesting" mode. as the husband and i cleaned out space for the baby's dresser and frantically tried to do all necessary preparations (geez louise, she's probably coming early, but it's not tomorrow), i felt like a question and answer segment out of the terribly cheesy what to expect when you're expecting.

after being disgustingly pampered with a luxurious christmas, wonderful baby shower, and pedicure (thanks, daddy!), i couldn't help but feel like one of those women who regularly takes the time to take care of herself.

as i spent most of yesterday on my hands and knees scrubbing the bathroom floor (why did i not do this before i was eight months pregnant?) i couldn't help but feel a closeness with those hardworking, under-appreciated women of the 1950s. barefoot and pregnant, i even made dinner.

as i embroidered a burp cloth while watching lost in austen (which really is as terrible and guilty a pleasure as you could imagine a story about a pride & prejudice fan having a door between her bathroom and the novel could be), i felt a sense of connection to the women doing their needlework.

and as i punched my husband in the arm for the 275th time this week for making a comment about how the baby is getting my tiny legs and huge belly, i felt like myself.

and you know what? this year i resolve to be myself more often. it's really a refreshing pace.

i also resolve to take more pictures.

happy 2010, everyone.

5 comments:

melissa said...

oh i'd really like to try to feel like myself more often, too. amen and laughter coming from here. and excitement! she's expected so soon! yay.

Audie said...

Post your embroidered projects when they are done! I saw Lost in Austen a while ago on PBS and was automatically hooked because I'm a big fan of pride & prejudice.

Stephanie said...

oh good, you saw that movie. now we can talk about it.

and yes, i like to just be myself and sometimes myself is a total housewife and sometimes myself is really something ugly and i think, oh these poor little boys, when will their loving mother come pick them up?

but above all- i just love this post and am so very excited for you!!!

cant wait to hear what you name her too!

Andrea said...

nice resolutions, rebecca! so excited that you're less than 2 months away from welcoming boo jr.

B said...

I am so excited for little baby to come and I think that is a fantastic resolution.