Wednesday, June 25, 2008

violated


i guess i should have seen it coming. i mean, when i think of david sedaris, sensitive and uplifting aren't quite the first two terms that come to mind. but when i heard he was coming to boise to promote his new book, i knew i had to check it out.

so, today after class, i unknowingly headed off to my local Hastings (an incredibly unlikely place for a new york times best selling author to show up, but i'm not complaining). i picked up a copy of the newest book. i laughed at the reading. after all, making coffee out of water from an arrangement of wildflowers is unceasingly humorous. i find david sedaris's voice oddly soothing--perhaps because i have grown so accustomed to listening to it on This American Life? whatever reason for this comfort, i felt i had made a great decision for my evening.

i have never tried to get a book signed before (i'm usually cranky by the time they get to signings), but i had this delusional idea that it may have actually gone quickly, so i got in line. for two and a half hours. this is in addition to the forty-five minutes spent standing during the reading (not that i--and my feet!--am/are complaining). luckily i had my dear friend jana, my cousin jake, and his beautiful wife rachel to keep me company.

i finally got to the front of the line, with pained feet and emotinal fatigue, and realized i didn't really have anything to say. no worries, david took it from there. staring relentlessly at my chest, he simply said, "Rebecca, what nice breasts you have."

"what?" i reply incredulously
"well, i mean, i'm no expert or anything" (in case you don't know, david sedaris is gay) "but you have seriously nice breasts."

he has still failed to look at my face once.

i instantly turned bright red. at this point in time, jake and rachel started cracking up. everyone in line can tell how obviously uncomfortable this comment has made me, so they all start laughing. i don't think i had ever been this mortified in my life... until he started writing this astute observation on the title page of my book.

"please," i plead, "please don't write that in my book."
"rebecca," he said, "they won't be nice forever..."

and so it is. eternally preserved for my grandchildren to lovingly cherish generations down the road. i don't think i have ever experienced such a mixture of mortification, flattery, and hilarity.

18 comments:

Minister of Chainsaws said...

I'm really quite irresolute as to how I should be taking this. On one hand, I can't help but be tempted to throw my hands up in the air, smile a cheesy sit-com smile, and chuckle, "that's SO David!" On the other hand, however, I also want to find Mr. Sedaris before he leaves Boise and kick him in the B-hole. (I wonder if he's ever told a man that he has seriously nice man boobs...)

I'll be tossing and turning all night.

Stephanie said...

i LOVE this story and think you should feel honored and delighted! i would. i mean he only speaks the truth... oh, too much?

Adam & Jetta said...

My mother-in-law went last night and all she got was a cat drawn in her book, consider yourself luck? Maybe he's straight for you...... HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAH ok, it really makes me laugh, and I wish I had been there to see how uncomfortable you were. :) It will make for a great memory.

melissa said...

ho boy. sorry, but thank you.

remember in paris when we were all four complimenting each others bodies in mildly uncomfortable ways? i do. good memory.

Auntie M said...

He is a disgusting pig. I would throw the book away. I cannot believe anyone thinks this is funny or tolerable.

I would not ever want my grandchildren to think that at any point in time I was drawn to that comment.

You are a lady and as such you shouldn't entertain such comments.

Christopher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher said...

:-O

Angie said...

my oh my!

jana said...

Man, I always leave before the excitement! I would have beat him up for you. He's the one guy I could rip to shreds with my Turbo-Jam moves (you'll see on Monday).

It was totally worth it to hang out with you for 78% of the wait time, even sans leacherous gay man.

rachel garber said...

I think that is the best story ever of mortifyingly meeting somebody of celebrity status! Consider yourself totally cool. What did Jesse say?

Talia said...

I'd have to agree with Mr. Sedaris. If my memory serves me right, you do have a GREAT ra(k! But if you look (lose enough, I believe the right might be bigger then the left. Just an observation...

Andrea said...

0h come on, they won't be nice forever. and at least he didnt pull an isaac mizrahi on you. =)

i'm sorry, becca! he should know that people want to grow up to be like you... and not just because you're freakin hot.

Audie said...

HAHA!

Jones Family said...

Wow. Not sure what else to say. But what did he expect you to say? He has guts talking to a woman like that. You could take it as a compliment but how awkward.

Diane said...

Oh dear. I can't say I'm that shocked...Sedaris after all. Well, at least you can comfort yourself knowing that it was a genuine observation, impartially given, as he is not exactly in for the ladies.

I'm not sure that I'll be able to look you in the eye when we next meet :)

B said...

WOW. YEAH, WOW

Diana said...

when i read about this too late in the paper, i was sad i missed it. now i'm not so sad seeing as how the reader was the big bad ill-mannered wolf. i have to wonder if he would have said something like that in a different scenario before he was famous and adored and could get away with it. seems like abuse in a couple different forms to me. but i still think YOU'RE great.

Audra said...

Okay, I don't know who he is, but I think the commment is kinda funny. And he is right, once you have kids...well I think you get it.