Saturday, June 21, 2008

update on the mundane

i never thought i'd be genuinely sad to see a class go. certainly i have had those classes that i knew i'd learned from and enjoyed, but after a full semester, i generally knew it was time to go. but today i am actually sad that i didn't have to go to school again.

i just finished taking a week-long creative nonfiction class, and it was absolutely wonderful. i loved my instructor and his approach for setting up the class, i loved my writing group i workshopped with all week, i loved seeing andrea's happy little face every day, and i really loved making the time to write something new every night. i received such positive feedback and helpful critique--and i even shared some of my stuff with jesse (which i generally refuse to do).

i thought i would dread a 9-4 class every day this week, but all in all, it was a really great experience.

let's hope this upcoming week's class is almost as good.

and seriously, guys, i need some positive thoughts headed my way for the job hunt. i'm starting to really stress out...

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

i would love to take a creative nonfiction class! love it! i am currently reading a collection of creative nonfiction and i love it! ah, what a dream... :)

rachel garber said...

You will find the perfect job that allows you to be sassy and witty all at the same time. Just don't do what I did - quit looking and end up painting your parent's house :) That's ok, I have Alaska to look forward to - and a boy up there to look forward to seeing. You'll appreciate this: I had to take a test for my teacher classes and it needed a writing sample. The question was: if you could meet one famous person, who would it be and why and what would you do for the day? I chose Sawyer and recieved a 10/10 :)

Christopher said...

Confucius says: "What the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others."

You will do great!

jana said...

I want to play with you. My hair misses you.

I'm so relieved you caught the heavy sarcasm and irony with which those pictures were taken. I had a moment where I wondered: "will people think I'm serious and really that vain?" And I mean, I am, I just don't want people to know it.

WHEN DO I GET TO PLAY WITH YOU?! You're brilliant, boo-tiful, bodacious, and b-charismatic. You will find a job, they will love you, and you'll even have time to write more creative non-fiction. I even have an idea for your next piece: the experiences of a first-time Turbo Jammer. Think about it.

melissa said...

wait, seriously, a class in a week? you never cease. (to amaze me and other things.)

also, i like the "i belong" button. i assume if i want to copy you i can get one off lds.org?

boo face mcjones said...

you can totally copy the "i belong" button. i got it off of leelou blogs, there's a link on my sidebar. she has a couple of pretty cute options.

Auntie M said...

prayers have begun!!!

Andrea said...

good luck with the job interview(s) this week! you'll do great, mrs. jones.

ps i tried to be an overachiever and start revising some essays for bruce's class, but i got all caught up in the "medium"'s predictions for my life. =) i'll be honest and say i'm a little freaked out. but it makes for a good story...

Diana said...

i think you are a good writer...judging by your creative blog non-fiction