Monday, January 14, 2008

it's either this or a rant about school starting

anyone that associated with me between 2001-2003 may have noticed my love for tolkien and my interest in hobbit studies (to think it all started with mrs. french insisting on reading the entirety of The Hobbit aloud, despite her lisp... my preciouth-th-th). on a tangent, here is a list of all the reasons that hobbits rock:

  • they are little but not in a creepy way--i prefer to think that we share this characteristic
  • they prefer round doors--much more aesthetically pleasing than whatever boards it is that we hang on our houses
  • they prefer to not leave their homes (something i relate to more and more as i burrow into the remainder of my christmas break), but the courageous ones do when their bravery is needed
  • they really, really like their food and never miss a snack
  • they have really great names (check out http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/ for your own hobbit name. jesse and i are Dimple and Lila Boffin of Whitfurrows)
  • they have excellent willpower (see the video below for more information)

i am not ashamed to admit that Return of the King was the first book to ever make me cry (now i mostly wish that i could turn that emotional function off), Eowyn is still my favorite feminist character of all time, and that I have kept a pair of awful pajama pants for five years simply because my college roommates referred to them as my "hobbit pants."

for christmas, i gave jesse the flight of the conchords tv series on dvd. needless to say, it's been on our minds. they have developed a bit of a cult following, but if you don't know who they are, they describe themselves as new zealand's original parody folk duo and have certainly warranted the occassional youtube visit.

i enjoy this clip because it combines some great fotc humor with one of my life's main passions: The Lord of the Rings. i fear it has been too long since i have tried to spread the good word about lotr (i'm trying a lot of acronyms in order to build credibility--is it working?), so with no further ado...



4 comments:

Ali said...

Becca,
I am ashamed to admit I've never read the LOTR series, but as I am currently "in the market" for a new reading addiction, I am pleased to have come across your post today.
Your Friend
Orangeblossom Hardbottle (wife of Mungo)

Stephanie said...

i recall your obsession and we also love that show! i thought of you this morning dear pal- dont ask me why- these things just pop up in my mind...sigh...

B said...

I have never known you were "obsessed" so I am glad that you confessed. I too enjoy flight of the conchords. and I too have been described as a hobbit but my friends didn't mean it in a loving and endearing way. The just meant to say that I am short with extra big feet.

Andrea said...

i'm so glad that despite your fabulous english degree and current literature undertakings, you endorse lotr. it makes me feel not so bad about reading "the nanny diaries" over break instead of melville's correspondence.

until we meet again (perhaps at the broken down copier in the mailroom?), Rosie-Posie Brandybuck of Buckland