Monday, August 2, 2010

Collecting no moss (I hope)

Rollin', rollin', rollin'

That's all little Penelope is doing these days. First she learned how to roll from her belly, onto her left side, onto her back. Then she learned how to roll from her back, onto her right side, onto her belly again.

Folks, this is what we call a log roll. And this is what my daughter does all.day.long. Until she would get in situations like this.


We thought things were under control. She would get caught under a chair, against the wall, etc., and then she would scream. But then she started getting curious. And then her fingers were all over everything.

We soon realized that our current abode is NOT baby-proofed, and we fear we are eerily close to the little one sticking her fingers in something hazardous. (But we may just be every bit the part of paranoid, first-time parents my older siblings try to explain we are.) Instead of buying the $5 plastic things you stick in outlets that save your child from electrocution, this was just the needle on boo's back that convinced me: We need our own place.

It's not that we aren't over-the-moon-grateful for the current space. With my parents' generosity, the price for staying in their condo is more than right. But we hate the idea of getting too comfortable. Of overstaying our welcome. Of never breaking out the crib we bought for our baby about a year ago. Of having our new couch stay wrapped in plastic in the garage forever. Of spending half of my child's early years driving in the car between our home, my sister's home, and jesse's and my respective places of work.

So we hope to roll on. We've put in an offer to buy (yes, BUY) a home. But it's a short-sale, and the pace seems to be slower than the crawl Penelope is now working on. So we may end up renting after all. Until then, I am learning more every day that home is where my heart is. And even though all of my things are in a combination of storage units, garages, and boxes around the house; I'm happy to be making our memories here.




But a girl can dream...

Right?

5 comments:

Ali said...

What an adorable, mobile baby!

Good luck with the house! I hope things work out in your favor!

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

You posted such cute pictures.Thanks for sharing them. I LOVE that first year of a baby's life. It's so fun to see a baby become mobile, interactive, and curious. Every month gets more exciting with a little one around.

My philosophy is that God gives us built in entertainment in the form of babies and children. They're funner than anything else.

Penelope is beautiful. I'm so happy for you and Jesse!

melissa said...

right, for sure right we can dream. the boths of us.

ps i love the way she rolls around like a [something that rolls a lot].

Ryan and Janelle said...

She gets prettier with every post! :) Congrats, and good luck with the house! :)

Jeff and Jenn said...

SO CUTE! I love her and have still never met her!
Dream girl! We were dreaming when we put in the offer for our short sale house....and we got it! Somehow no matter how impatient we all are things always work out! We had fun with you guys at Missy's!