Wednesday, April 22, 2009

the question of mani-pedis on a warm wednesday evening

(can you tell that headlines are not my strength?)

once, around eighth grade, my entire family decided to get a pedicure for a family outing. i am nearly certain this was my dad's attempt at bonding with his daughters. i mostly remember it as the day dad got pink toenails and another human being actually touched cameron's feet. she will undoubtedly get a special section of cloud in heaven.

but that was my only experience with professional nail grooming. it struck me today, as i listened to a co-worker disgustedly tell me she hadn't had a manicure-pedicure (or, as someone in the know would call it, a mani-pedi) in almost a month, that i've never had a mani-pedi.

now, don't pity me for this. in my mind, it seems like a waste of income to have your nails professional trimmed twice a month (or however often you actually do it). but i do imagine it to be a wonderfully luxurious experience. rejuvenating. relaxing. absolutely girly.

so then i had to ask myself: what do i do in lieu of the infamous mani-pedi that maintains all of those needs?

well, i bought some FABULOUS fabric on clearance this weekend, but i have no idea what i will do with it. that is typical. i suppose that means that crafting of all sorts is out. i go to church, and though this is rejuvenating, i spent all of this sunday feeling like i was going to hyperventilate (can you say three callings, anyone?). so i guess that isn't quite the equivalent of the mani-pedi as i imagine it.

and then i remembered that i have weekly lunches with this little thing. and she makes me laugh. hard.

and i also get to have some great heart-to-hearts with this lovely lady (who is going on the same trip to england that i went on five years ago. but she is going as faculty! can you believe it?).

and do you want to guess how i feel after all of this? if you answered

rejuvenated. 
relaxed. 
absolutely girly. 
totally blessed.

you win five points.

9 comments:

Adam & Jetta said...

Just reading this makes me feel a little more rejuvenated and girly! I know reading blogs is a sad substitute for catching up, but it is so nice to hear your voice (through the written word!) I like to believe if we had had more time to get hang out and get to know each other that we would be great friends.... is that weird to admit?

melissa said...

my actual comment would destroy the zen you've created with this post so instead i'll comment on how lovely your new blog look is.

Jones Family said...

I had a pedicure once before my wedding and I felt so wierd because some stranger was touching my feet! It made me self-conscious!

boo face mcjones said...

jetta: not in the least bit weird to admit. i feel the same way. let's make it happen.

mrs. p: now i'm curious about what your actual comment was. no zen to maintain here. share, please.

julie: i can totally understand the self-conscious thing. sometimes i get nervous about people cutting my hair.

Diane said...

Yeah, the mani/pedi thing is fun but always seems like a waste of money to me too. I could be buying purses or something!

And I never got around to commenting on the pics from your NYC trip, but I just wanted to say that you look FABU. You and your chic hair were super cute and your outfits were oh-so NYC stylish.

Nickie said...

I heart you.

melissa said...

well my comment was just one of utter jealousy of your friend who's going on our trip WITHOUT US. what the!

Andrea said...

i've never had a mani/pedi either. i also get my hair cut at hairmasters. and i--gasp!-- do. my. own. dusting.

thanks for reminding me that luxury is really in the people we know, the conversations we have that make us better people, and all the fulfilling day-to-day things. it's not about $50 sets of nails. if that's what they're called. and how much. ??

B said...

I love a good emotional mani-pedi. I wish I could go to lunch with you and Sibface. I love all the pink on your blog I feel more feminine just looking at it.