Thursday, May 19, 2011

Trying to bang(s) it out

(such a lame title. please forgive. the rest of the post doesn't get much better.)

My hair has needed love. For (easily) weeks. Here is the conundrum: My bangs have really sucked. I've had an inner monologue focused around this every time I look in the mirror:

"Man, my hair looks haggard. I really need a haircut. Maybe just my bangs. Maybe I could call my friend XXX to see if she could just do my bangs. No, that's lame. If I'm going to get a haircut, I'm going to get a hair cut. But I'm style-lazy and growing my hair out, so that just seems like a waste of money. Just the bangs, then. But Jesse hates bangs. But I love bangs. Gah! I was 15 minutes behind when I started this monologue, what am I doing? Just do your makeup. Your hair will look better when your makeup is done... Nope, still crap. Just pin the bangs back."

Anyway (if you are still reading after that lengthy detour), I convinced myself that it wasn't so bad and went about my business. I was wrong.

Today I went to Target to pick up a few items, and the sweetest woman in the world was ringing me up when she kept mentioning the weather. I finally said something generic but polite like, "yeah, it sure is warm, but it is windy out there!"

She jumped on the chance and said, "I bet you wish you were a man with short hair today -- they sure don't have to worry about how bad the wind makes their hair look!"

She was sweet, so I brushed it off until I got out to the car and could look at my reflection in the window (yes, this is about the extent of my beauty routine these days). I couldn't blame her for the comment. My hair really looked awful. So I came home, realized that I own a pair of scissors and cut the bangs myself. (Unfortunately, I do this a lot. Like when I blogged about it four years ago.)

I have now added some new items to the list of things I want to do when Jesse graduates and starts working:

1. Cash his first check in quarters and build a reserve for a swimming pool built out of quarters à la Duck Tales.
2. Use said quarters to pay off student loans (it's going to be an Olympic-sized pool).
3. Yeah, yeah, house/cars/grown-up stuff.
4. Get a real hair style.
5. Take a class on how to take good photos of yourself (I believe Paris Hilton might be teaching one by that time).


I think that about covers it. (I don't dare share the 90 bajillion totally shallow, selfish things I think about wanting.) Until then, I might want to invest in some scissors that were purchased after 1996 and don't live in my home office...

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am in the same predicament! My bangs look like a long layer now, but I am too lazy and cheap to get them trimmed frequently and Thomas has requested that I no longer cut them myself....so....... I finally got an appointment somewhere I like but our schedules couldn't agree until June 4th... so I am gonna be ugly for a while.

Stephanie said...

OH and that Target lady! My gosh! Move to Hawaii- no one would EVER say anything like that because no one care. It's nice and kind of enabling too ... and ps- I LOVE YOUR BANGS so well done!

B said...

You guys are all crazy... or totally cool, i can't decide. I have never cut my own hair. I am way to lazy to do stuff like that on my own, or I just don't trust myself. Plus I love being able to not think about hair. to just go to someone else and say "I don't know, do whatever you want" is one of my favorite past times. But, I hear ya on the growing your hair out stuff. I am still growing my hair which kind of ticks me off. I love short hair. But all the men at work would kill me if I cut my hair. Yes I know that is out of character, usually I couldn't give a toss what other people, especially men, think I should do with my hair. However, since I do work for a construction company and drive a Subaru and a few other butch things I figure I can try to at least appear feminine.

Your bangs look great and I have been feeling extra shallow and selfish lately so if you ever want company on wanting any of those things, you know who to call.

melissa said...

first of all, you have a friend named XXX? and second of all, you should fill your pool with gold coins instead of quarters.

but seriously folks. i don't even let stylists touch my bangs when i happen to go in for a cut. i always cut them myself and they look terrible lately as does the rest of my hair too by the way (ooops no punctuation).

yours turned out nice.

here's my final question: why are we all shaggy in need of haircuts these days?

Carrie said...

ME TOOOOOOO!!!! I'm a stylist and I'm dying! True story to make you feel better:

Young, cute mom at church says: "I need a haircut sooooooo badly. My dad says I look like a polygamist!!!!!"

Sad day for me cause my hair looks, literally, exactly like hers. So I guess i need a haircut too? Pretty sure I got called a polygamist.

But your bangs are super cute, and I'm now having second thoughts about the great-bang growout of 2011.

Ps. I think about that McDuck coin-filled pool all. the. time. Only mine is about 20 years in the future.

Ryan and Janelle said...

OH i soo know the drama of bangs...to cut, or not to cut...that is the REAL question! I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)
ps - thanks for the message on fb. Great minds think alike!

brightbit said...

i am so super impressed with you right now. i tried to cute my bangs off last february and it was UGLY. (even though I have cut them fairly well in the past.) sam now knows if i lurch for the scissors in the bathroom at one in the morning to stop me at all costs.

you look super cute!!!

p.s. thanks for your post on kids and such. i'll take all the advice i can get!