Monday, May 16, 2011

Mommy, "Wow! You're a big girl now?"

Author's note: Dad (that would be you, Bart), you don't want to read this. Trust me. There's nothing bad in here, but knowing your sensitivity to the mere mention of feminine products (code word: Rumplestiltskin), this post will be completely abhorrent to you.

There are tampons all over my house. Right now, there is an opened tampon on the desk next to me. There are a few wrappers at my feet. This is just a day in the life of a mom working from home with an incredibly active toddler left to do whatever keeps her from screaming and pulling at my shirt all day.

The tampon thing started innocently enough. Jesse and I were getting ready for the day at my parents' house, and Pen was curiously going through the drawers. Then she saw them. Brightly colored wrappers. Perfectly sized for her chubby fists. Plus daddy laughed when she showed him her new treasure. This is what 15-month-olds' dreams are made of.

One of the first things she discovered when we got back to our own home is that we have a much larger stash of these exciting items in our bathroom. And they are right where she can reach them! They are so easy to open, easy to cart around, and easy to stick in her mouth. I figured, "Well, what's the harm? I bought a lifetime supply at Costco, so it's not like a couple missing from the box will upset the balance of things."

But now I worry that her fascination may have reached a critical point. She wedged a box full of tampons into her diaper bag the other day. (Why? To share with others? To show all her friends that she is super mature? Because she is trying to be thoughtful for mommy?) And now you know that she really likes you if she kindly bestows you with one of the unwrapped gems.

Again, I worry I may not be preparing her for real-life social experiences. But they keep her occupied during a crazy part of the day, so I am willing to be a bit flexible on this whole "normal" social behavior.

I just ask that if you come to our house, please overlook the feminine products scattered about. And if some giggly little toddler hands you an unexpected tampon, I hope you know that it is a sign of affection. Unless you are my father. Then I just ask that you try not to let the experience scar you.


(But remember that you think she is really cute, too.)

6 comments:

Audie said...

Jovie went through the exact same thing!!! Oakley didn't care at all. It must be a first born daughter thing.

boo face mcjones said...

Oh, Audie, what a relief! I was so worried that there were some weird issues afoot. But Jovie is so normal that I will just stop worrying about it...

Stephanie said...

hahahahahahahahaha! I love that this is the only thing that scars the senator! I don't buy it. The senator is fearless in my mind forever and always. Ah, Penny I love you.

melissa said...

ha. i don't even have any tampons in my house (don't be jealous).

Sarah Lenz said...

I had a cat that used to get into my tampons. He loved to bat at them, pounce on them, carry them around in his mouth. The tampon string, too, was incredible irresistible to a feline.

B said...

I will be honest that the only three thoughts that crossed my mind while reading this were as follows (in order);
1. Oh, Bart. I wish I still lived close to the Davis home
2. Funny. (your post & Penny's love of tampons).
3. Oh I wonder if Penny would give me a tampon. I wish I could stop by right now to see, I hope she likes me.