Monday, June 21, 2010

for father's day: reflections a day or so late

the summer after i graduated from high school, i dated a boy for about half a minute. he was handsome, funny, crazy smart and completely inspiring. one night we sat on my parents' trampoline and he told me all about the happenings at his job -- working at the movie theater.

a little boy got lost and couldn't find his parents. he approached the strapping at-the-moment boyfriend and asked him for help. said hunk proceeded to take the chap up on his shoulders and walk him around the theater while they searched for his parents. he kept the kid laughing until the parents were located. all was well. and he described all the events like they were truly blissful.

so things didn't work out between us at the time, but we stayed friends. and he kept on being wonderful with children. he gave my nephews the best birthday presents and piggy back rides. they adored him and so did i. and i knew i wanted to marry someone like that. someone who, like my daddy, understood the importance and honor of being a good father.

luckily for me, i did. i really think my husband is one of those men that was born to be a father.

don't you? happy father's day to you men out there.

(p.s. in case you didn't catch it, jesse was aforementioned summer boyfriend. clear now?)

5 comments:

melissa said...

i like that picture a LOT. i like that story a LOT. i get the feeling you told me about him while we were in europe, am i crazy?

boo face mcjones said...

nope, not crazy at all! he e-mailed me a few times while we were out gallivanting -- excellent memory!

B said...

I love that picture too. And yes I do think Jesse is a great father. Happy Father's day Jesse.

B said...

p.s. I think that Penny looks a lot like you in that picture.

Andrea said...

so awesome. and really? half a minute? trampoline talk didn't win you over then? =)