Monday, June 28, 2010

capital punishment

i learned this month that it drives jesse crazy when people don't capitalize things. he hinted at it when he mentioned my blog the other day. "there seems to be a wave of girls who don't capitalize things or punctuate as a 'style,'" he said disdainfully.

don't get me wrong, there is certainly an important function that capitalization serves. and at work, i am impeccable about capitalizing things.

I swear I know how to do it.

i could pretend that i don't do it here because of some sort of rebellious spirit, but i'm really just lazy. and really, if it bothers the husband that much, perhaps i will start writing properly on this-here forum.

now, i don't mention this because i think you are all-consumed with whether or not i should capitalize. in fact, the great question ("to capitalize, or not to capitalize") doesn't phase me.

what i find interesting is that i thought we had reached a point where i understood everything about my husband. but for three-and-a-half years of our marriage and this blog, i had never heard of this pet-peeve.

and i kind of like that i learned something new about him. So honey, I promise I will try.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm with you on the lazy factor and frequently find myself wallowing in that trend of careless female whim, but I've been making a little more effort lately. Just a little because sometimes I just forget. I like to think of it as a stylistic choice though! Makes me feel cool. :) this comment is proper because I'm typing on my iPhone and it does the work for me- trusty little helper.

B said...

yep, me too. WAY TOO LAZY. It's kinda nice to learn something new about someone. Sorry Jesse I don't know if I can change my ways but I will try and remember to try.

melissa said...

frankly, i didn't even notice. i think there is a time and place for capitalization, and a time and place for non capitalization.

it's interesting what we learn about people, isn't it? for instance, i'm a little surprised to learn you don't capitalize your blog posts.

Andrea said...

i love that jesse used the word "style" instead of "grammatical ERROR." i don't capitalize. perhaps the half-scholar in me presumes that internet correspondence does not warrant the pressures of correct grammar and punctuation(or, as our readings for 598 taught us: white male elitism).

Ryan and Janelle said...

Boo, you crack me up! hilarious. i don't like to capitalize either...but alas, I do play by the rules. Most of the time.