Monday, May 10, 2010

mothering through the generations

i am learning how to be a mother. unfortunately, there was no specialized training to prepare me for this venture (though aunthood certainly helped). this is unfortunate, because sometimes i think i make a better student than functioning adult.

yesterday, i was reminded that i come from a line of wonderful mothers. and not to be too biased, but i really think i am learning from the best.

(can you believe that my sweet mother is my age in this picture? what lovely young beauty! and how precious is little cameron?!?)

and sure, i may have accidentally dropped the remote on my baby's head while nursing her. or maybe i did call her a poo face angrily and (kind of ) meant it because she wouldn't stop crying. the good news is that while i am learning on the job, i get to learn on the best.

happy mothers' day to mothers (and aunts and sisters and friends and inspiring women) past, present and future.

9 comments:

Ali said...

Oh my goodness, you are the spitting image of your beautiful Mother! What a well written tribute and I appreciated and relate well to the "being a student" portion of your well put analogy.

melissa said...

yeah, seriously, for a second i thought you had curled your hair all retro for a photo or something. so awesome.

as for pennymeister, don't feel bad about the poo face thing, because (not that i really know but) she probably will be--or already has been--one sometime in her little life.

WILLIAM AND LYNDA DAVIS said...

You do have an amazing mother, Becca, and you are following in her steps already! I loved seeing the picture of your mother and Cameron together. Thanks for posting it.

Motherhood is extremely challenging, and you will grow immensely in that capacity. It's also the most rewarding, joyful role for a woman. Women were born to nurture others. I'm so happy you are experiencing it all!

Audie said...

My kids call me poo face. It is probably because I call them poo face. I'm sure I've dropped things on them, too. It's all part of being a mom!

Diane said...

Oh my goodness - you look so much like your mother. Two beauties!

Carrie said...

Yes, your mom is so beautiful and you look just like her! I dropped my dinner on my baby's head the other day and I felt pretty badly about that too. What's with their heads always being in the wrong place at the wrong time?

B said...

I loved this, I love that picture of your mom and Cameron. And if I know Penny at all I am sure she is totally over the poo face thing. I know you pretty well and I am sure you are a brillant mom.

Andrea said...

coming from someone who has been nicknamed "poopy" by a loving ex-boyfriend (actually, that was not sarcastic!), i think penny will be just fine. kids are funny, and they are also maddening. love all your pictures-- i'm looking forward to meeting the little one soon.

Jones Family said...

You really do take after your mom in the looks department. I always thought she was a pretty lady