Tuesday, November 3, 2009

oh, this husband of mine...

he keeps me in stitches.

you know those days where you get all bent out of shape by the fact that you can't really bend over like a normal person, and you grunt like a hippo when you try to get that second leg into your pants in the morning? and then you remember it's just going to get worse over the next three and a half months? no? i do. all the time.

sidetrack: somedays i am amazed that even though i really wanted to be pregnant, and i dreamt of it and prayed for it, i still act like i'm going through a ridiculous and unexpected second puberty. "what?!? my body does what?!? but i don't want to get zitty! i don't want my butt to get bigger! i don't like leg cramps! i don't want to get the worst haircut of all time!" (though the last one isn't attributed to my baby, i am blaming my stylist's pregnancy. so it is all related.) someone in this house tends to act like a baby. and it tends to be the person carrying the baby.

back on track: jesse shrugs it off. and sometimes it is irritating. but tonight, after a dinner where i complain for about 30 minutes, jesse says, "let's make like the germans and get the french out of here. I JUST MADE THAT UP! that was completely unfunny but hilarious! let's see who can think of the worst way to say we should leave..." (we do this kind of "let's see who can make the least funny joke possible" competition on a fairly regular basis.)

then all the way out to the car, i hear a rambling that consists of the following:

let's make like the operator of a sewage treatment plant and get the crap out of here.
let's make like the lakers and get the jazz out of here.
let's make like an exorcist and get the hell out of here. (he was getting quite excited by this point in time.)
let's make like ex-lax and...

you get the idea. for ten minutes. and of course, i had nothing. i am not that quick anymore, and i -- continuing the pity party -- say to the husband, "i can't do this, honey. the word games are not so easy for me these days. i'm just not that smart."

"that's not true," he replies. "you are very good at math!"

and that's when i remembered one of the many reasons i married him. you need someone who can make you laugh at yourself. and he does it for me all the time.

(demonstration of jesse cracking me up at our engagement photo shoot)

what a blessing. i hope it never changes.

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

you complete each other.

oh man did i just type that?

but it's true! i love you guys. do i really know jesse? well, not really, no. but i do!

Ali said...

Your brain will come back... and before Jesse realizes it, you'll be making a strong 'punny' comeback.

In other news, I'm so glad your mate makes you laugh. And I bet your baby girl loves the sound of that laugh more than anything.

I loved the pictures at the end too.

melissa said...

oh he's even making me laugh from here. niice. i really like that germans/french one. nate's going to love it too. i can't wait to tell him.

oh. and. bitty and i talked about you the other weekend and how you singlehandedly (and unintentionally) helped both of us pump up our style on the style-o-meter.

Angie said...

cute!

Audra said...

let's make like a baby and head out!

Ryan and Janelle said...

Haha, I liked the German/French one the most! What a goof :) you guys are going to be hilarious parents.

Minister of Chainsaws said...

Ooooh, Audra's was good. And disgusting. A two-fer.

B said...

Oh I miss you both (I think that is all I ever say when I comment on your blog- I guess I am not good at the word play either). But true.

I agree completely with Mellie. The French/German one was my fave and it is true Boo. You are our style icon