Monday, July 21, 2008

the social education of sick boo

so, by now it's no mystery to my large readership that i have, of late, been afflicted with the nastiness of the headcold. in the middle of july. i must admit that it has likely been the worst cold i can recall ever having, but i was in denial. big time.

not only was i unemployed, living in my parents' condo, and dreaming of the day i will have legitimate reason to leave the couch, i now found myself lacking the physical prowess to actually get off the couch. daytime tv became my constant companion (seriously, ask me about any commercial currently on tv, and i'm sure i've seen it. my new favorites: the stride gum commercial where the goat rams the guy walking down the street and one of bitty's old favorites, the "there is such a thing as being a little pregnant." i saw it, and it was everything bitty had promised).

jesse had, however, planned a social outing far in advance: the opening midnight screening of the dark knight. i was eager to go, and despite my inability to keep my mouth closed for more than three seconds, complicating that whole "eating" thing, i convinced everyone i was feeling better.

after all, i wasn't new to the whole going to the movies sick thing. one time when i was dating he-who-shall-not-be-named in college, i had to take a box of tissues with me to the theater. i was told i was an embarrassment blowing my nose every five minutes. undeterred by the social embarrassment of being sick in the movies, jesse and brandon watched as i packed my purse full of alka seltzer, a plastic cup (to make said alka seltzer), cough drops, a box of tissues, the hobbit--for down time, and my slippers (aka my booties). finding myself justified to say, "fashion be damned," i put on my comfiest boise state jacket and confidently left the house.

ten minutes later jesse and i walked into the theater. i panicked. i suppose that my weeks of being alone in the condo and my recent acclimation to the comfort of the couch had not prepared me for the mass number of people swarming around to watch heath ledger's final work. i started to feel dizzy, but i persevered. because we arrived over an hour early for our showing, we had great seats in the theater--the kind of seats where no one can sit in front of you, so you can keep your feet perched selfishly in front of you the entire time.

within minutes i started to feel nauceous. jesse insisted that it was just the chinese food, but i found myself flashing back to another terrible movie instance with he-who-shall-not-be-named that ended with me throwing up in the garbage can in the movie theater lobby. let's just say it was my most attractive moment. i started panicking. what if i threw up in heath ledger's final work? would that be offensive? disgusting? i started crying. i couldn't help myself.

jesse offered to drive me home, but i knew he wanted to see the film, so i convinced him i could drive myself. he walked me out to the car, with me crying the entire way. people stared. i got even more embarrassed so i cried more. to shorten this tragic tale, i made it home safely and immediately fell asleep, only to wake when jesse came home three hours later, raving about the greatness of the movie.

although i'm sad to have missed the movie (i'm promised we can go together in the near future), i feel that i have finally learned that it is socially inappropriate to go to the movies sick. just another great life lesson.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

what a tragic and yet, very well put, tale! this is awful! a selfish part of me is thinking, "no! no! please tell me ambrose doesnt have the same exact illness- it'll ruin our whole vacation!" but that is only a very small part of me- the rest of me is just concerned for my dear friend... i wonder if you're a "little bit pregnant" on top of all of this? jk

Anonymous said...

becca, my heart is sad for you! Feel better soon! PS- the movie was freakin' fantastic, you will not be dissapointed.

melissa said...

holy moly, what a tragedy! i really liked that you brought the hobbit. but all in all i'm glad you threw in the towel. have you seen it yet?

rachel garber said...

That sounds awful! I will definitely take care of you!!

B said...

You can go to the movies sick anytime as far as i am concerned. I am sorry you haven't been feeling good lately. And i still think about that stupid commercial all the time.

Minister of Chainsaws said...

Wow!
I noticed you used a Iot of big words.
Nice. Good for you.
It was pretty Iong, so I didn't read it all,
but who cares 'cause I gave you an A.

diana palmer said...

since i'm a little late to comment on this, i hope that by now you are better and have made up for missing your first try at seeing heath ledger's final work.

i have noticed you seem to be sick a lot. =(. being sick is really hard. but you do it with style and good humor, at least on paper.

Andrea said...

sounds awful, but you put it so well. perhaps you can work this into a cnf piece entitled: "places becca has vomitted" or "almost"...

ps i saw the dark knight at the imax. it was way cool. so when you and jesse see it, go there. seriously.

Jones Family said...

Poor Becca! I loved the story though. You should be a writer ;)