Sunday, March 15, 2009

the ides of march


(this picture of jil and cameron was shamelessly stolen from jil's blog. it was too cute to pass up.)

today marks six years since my brother cameron passed away. i had the privilege today to reflect on how grateful i am for a merciful heavenly father that has given us the gift of eternal families.

in honor of today, i have decided to do my first repost of an entry i did two years ago.

It's March 15 Again

It's hard to believe that it's been four years since Cameron's been gone. I won't say that it seems like yesterday that I gathered in my parents' bedroom with a host of loved ones around as my dad told us all over the phone that he had been killed. It doesn't. I'm a different person now than I was then. That day changed our family entirely.

However, I suppose it's easier to say that Cameron doesn't feel distant. I like it that way. He's missed the births of five new Davis grandchildren. He missed my wedding. I suppose you could say that's missed a lot--I know that we have certainly missed him. But his sense of humor, his little boy charm, and his huge heart have always been a part of us.

I think that these pictures of Cameron best depict what I admire most about him. They were taken about ten years apart, but they both depict exactly who he is.

These pictures show how over time, despite all of the challenges in his life, Cameron never lost his sense of who he was, and is: a goofy kid who loved a good baby, a good laugh, and a good family.

For those of you who knew and loved Cameron, my heart goes out to you today. It's hard every year.

And to Cameron: we all love and miss you every day. especially today.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you becca. i love your family. all of you are such an example to me.

Grifter said...

God bless.

melissa said...

this is so well put.

what to say?

you know.

Christopher said...

Thank you Boo.

Ali said...

I'm so sorry Becca.

Audra said...

You have a wonderful way of putting your feelings into words. He seems like he was very special to you all. I hope you can always remember the good times.

Stephanie said...

i love these pictures. i miss him and you and all the davis clan. i think of you every march 15th and feel so much love for my dear other family.

Unknown said...

i obviously never met cameron, but your family's love for him is so apparent. i'm sorry for your big, big loss. he looks like a fun(ny) guy!

Yvonne said...

So I didn't remember the exact day Cameron passed away (I was in my 2nd month in Chicago as a missionary when I got the e-mail from my mom about it on p-day) - but I did think of him this last month and how it had already been 6 years.
I'll need to send you our t-ball picture when Morgan Richardson's sister was our coach. The face he makes in that picture always makes me smile.
I love your family and just know that others are still mourning with you.