Friday, October 24, 2008

today i love my body

so, i've been absent.

noticeably (i hope?)

please don't take it personally, friends. this week has been a rough one, and the last thing i need is to alienate people.

see, early last monday morning--2:26 a.m. to be exact--i woke regretting the taco time i ate at the garden of eden truckstop on our way home from boise. before i could register feeling nauseous, it was too late.

i threw up all day monday. to make things more interesting, my insulin pump started giving me some serious troubles two hours after my first late-night vomit session.

my sweet husband finally took me to the doctor (even though i was crying that i didn't want to leave the house) because things weren't looking good. i couldn't keep down water and was obviously getting pretty dehydrated.

urgent care told us they couldn't do anything but call the ER, so i threw up in their office and we left.

we got to the ER, where i was told i needed to be admitted to the hospital for severe dehydration, critically high blood sugar, and the beginnings of ketoacidosis. i spent the night in the ICU.

it turns out this all started from a touch of strep throat. ridiculous sounding, isn't it?

anyway, i don't share this just to explain my absence or even for pity (though both are certainly motives).

i share this because i don't want to forget how grateful i am for my health, for my body, for good health insurance (timing couldn't have been better on this), and for my support system.

today, and every day, i am blessed.

more uplifting blogging to commence ASAP.

11 comments:

Ali said...

Your absence is always noticed. You were missed. I am so sorry you've been sick. Ugh.

Auntie M said...

Ohhhh my niece!!!! I feel bad for you. I am so sorry you have gone thru this.
The only redeeming quality is that you can say, "Becca Boo spent a night in the ICU"
I love you.

B said...

Oh my poor Boo. My little heart breaks that i couldn't help. it makes me so sad that all this could be happening only a few hours from me and i was totally unaware

Audie said...

That sounds like an awful experience!!! I hope everything is going better!

Stephanie said...

i was wondering when you would make your triumphant return and i was certainly noticing and missing you. i am sorry to hear that this was the cause of your silence! what an ordeal to go through. whenever i am really really sick i think, i never know to appreciate my health when i am well! i am glad that you do friend. love you.

Brigette said...

Welcome back, Becca! But if this happens again (but we won't plan on it) make sure your mom tells ME directly because Weston never tells me anything and I didn't even know this happened until after the fact. I could have visited you in the hospital and brought you flowers!!!

But I'm glad you're feeling better.

Diane said...

Sad Boo! Truckstop Taco Bell is always dangerous territory. I hope you feel better soon!

Jones Family said...

You poor thing! That just sounds awful. Nothing worse than throwing up. I hope you are feeling better. You are a strong woman!

melissa said...

holy mackrel, i am glad you're doing better and are back to join us (cyber people). and you commented on my blog in addition to posting on your own! it's always nice to see you (cyber-speaking).

Zan said...

Hey, I know that truck stop! You were only 3 wee miles from Kimberly, Idaho, and therefore from the Soderquist residence! And now you will forever associate Kimberly with vomit and sever dehydration... Does that mean that you will now associate me with those things as well? That could be awkward.

Andrea said...

poor rebecca =( hope you're feeling better now. i hope your next homecoming from boise is less traumatic. ketoacidosis sounds pretty scary!